When It's Just Too Much

We just spent four packed days on vacation.  We learned some lessons (take at least 3 outfits a day when hiking)....won some "parenting of the year awards" (hello dinner at 9pm) and made some wonderful memories (see this post).

We got back Sunday evening and spent all of yesterday catching up.  Neither Peter nor I are great planners.  We have slowly learned to set ourselves up for success when we return from a trip (now if we could do the same when leaving!).  He took yesterday off and we spent the day "leisurely" doing laundry, yard work and grocery shopping.  Even though it was a busy day it definitely gave us a smooth start to the work week.

I woke up today stressed.  A. It's sad when your big kids wake BEFORE your baby.  Happy that little K is such a good sleeper.  But seriously boys.  This not-a-morning-person-at-all Mama needs you to at least stay in your room until 7.

We are officially moving in 2 months.  I have said anything in this little space about it because A. let's be honest I have said a lot here lately.  B. I'm pretending it isn't happening.  Regardless we have a lot to do to get ready.

I stress about weird things.  We've been through some trying times in the past few years...cancer...crohns...a long deployment.  But those things don't really get me down.  I tend to let the little things get to me and when that happens I've learned it's time to sit down and regroup.

Sometimes though the little things aren't so easy to forget.  And although they aren't diseases that start with C or major life events they are still important.

Here's the thing.

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.(Ephesians 5:15-17)

My time right now is best spent with my babies.  I have been called to and chosen to be a stay at home Mom.  And while that has it's ups and downs, it's what I'm supposed to do.  Forever?  Who knows.  But for right now I'm right where God wants me to be.  My job is to be the best Mama to Stafford, Reed and Kelsey as I can be.  To love Jesus in front of them.  To be Jesus to them.  To respond to them in love.  To model patience.  To teach them to boldly proclaim His name.  

Sometimes doing the above just has to win over the things I want to do.  I'm not saying I shouldn't get time to myself.  I do think that is important.  But my JOB right now is these three little people.  Yes changing diapers is yuckly.  And reading the same old book gets old (why do they want to read the same one 10 times in a row??)

Probably the thing I hear from older parents most often is "It goes by so fast, enjoy it."  And they are right.  I want to enjoy every bit of it.  The easy and the hard.  The tears and laughter.  The whining and the grinning.  It doesn't mean there won't be hard days.  But I don't want to look back and wish my time with them away!

I think this is magnified by being a military family.  One month you move in and then before you can even blink it seems like three years has passed!!  If I'm this sad about leaving a city, I can't imagine how I will feel when that first baby leaves to go to college.

So when you come to my house you might notice that I've chosen love over laundry.  Babies and blocks over books.  My cuties over coffee.  I'm making the most of this time...regardless of what that looks like.  And I'm praying to love every minute of it!


This girl....she makes my hear about burst!


And this one....he gives messy a new meaning.


And my sweet sweet Stafford....

It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will.

—L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Comments

Popular Posts