For The Beauty of the Earth

Lately it's been really really hard to live away from home.  We've only been gone for a little over two years and so many things have changed.  We've each lost a grandfather.  Three baby boys have been born (with another nephew to join them in November!)  Both of my grandmothers have moved out of their homes and into new smaller places.  Peter was diagnosed (and thankfully easily treated) with cancer.  We made it through a dreaded deployment.

The seasons have changed.  We've grown older...hopefully a little wiser.  Life is richer especially with the addition of our sweet boys.
But I miss home.

I miss the food.  I miss our families.  Our friends.  I miss the way it smells.  I miss everything about it.

On days like these I find it most helpful to count my blessings.  One of our favorite things about living here (because we do love it here) 
is being able to explore next places.  There is so much evidence of the Lord's masterpiece all around.  And we do feel a little sad about someday leaving the beauty that is the Pacific Northwest.  My grandparents traveled all over throughout their lives and I remember my Grandaddy saying that besides Kentucky there was no prettier place than Washington.  I suppose he was right.  And how fortunate for me that I have experienced both.

But as Happy Chandler says...

"I Never Met A Kentuckian Who Wasn't Either Thinking About Going Home Or Actually Going Home"

There is no place like home.  But until I can get there again I am going to enjoy the beauty around me here!






For the beauty of the earth, 
 for the glory of the skies, 
 for the love which from our birth 
 over and around us lies; 
 Lord of all, to thee we raise 
 this our hymn of grateful praise.
































For the beauty of each hour 
 of the day and of the night, 
 hill and vale, and tree and flower, 
 sun and moon, and stars of light; 
 Lord of all, to thee we raise 
 this our hymn of grateful praise.































For the joy of ear and eye, 
 for the heart and mind's delight, 
 for the mystic harmony, 
 linking sense to sound and sight; 
 Lord of all, to thee we raise 
 this our hymn of grateful praise.

































For the joy of human love, 
 brother, sister, parent, child, 
 friends on earth and friends above, 
 for all gentle thoughts and mild; 
 Lord of all, to thee we raise 
 this our hymn of grateful praise.

































For thy church, that evermore 
 lifteth holy hands above, 
 offering up on every shore 
 her pure sacrifice of love; 
 Lord of all, to thee we raise 
 this our hymn of grateful praise.

































For thyself, best Gift Divine, 
 to the world so freely given, 
 for that great, great love of thine, 
 peace on earth, and joy in heaven:  
 Lord of all, to thee we raise 
 this our hymn of grateful praise.





Comments

  1. Sometimes I feel deeply sad that I don't live near "home." It usually has to do with my nieces and nephews, who I only get to see grow up in pictures and then once or twice a year in person. I'm the aunt they have to be reminded of, as opposed to the ones who are right there. And that hurts.

    But I've learned that my family is where we need to be and I try to focus on the good of where we are.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts