Creamed Onions

I know you've been dying for a new recipe so I wanted to share one of my favorite side dishes.  Growing up I hate onions.  I think most children probably do.  They have a sharp, distinct taste and let's be honest....they don't exactly leave you with rosy smelling breath!  But as an adult I have learned to LOVE them!!  This is one of my favorite side dishes.  It is rich and satisfying.  I usually serve it with beef.



6 large onions, sliced
1 cup butter
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
2 cups milk

In a large skillet saute onions in butter until tender and golden brown, about 25 minutes.  Remove with a slotted spoon.  Add flour, salt and pepper to skillet; stir until smooth.  Gradually stir in milk until blended.

Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Reduce heat to medium.  Return onions to the pan; heat through.

**Recipe and picture via Taste of Home Magazine

Comments

  1. Thinking of trying an onion relish recipe that I found in Taste of Home Cookbook. Pretty much anything they recommend is great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts