I'm Not Supermom

My first baby made me look like super-mom. Other than a semi-hard physical recovery from my delivery I had it easy. I just didn't know it. I always wondered what people were talking about when they said there was no time for a shower or they were covered in spit-up.

I get it now.

I'm pretty honest here in my corner of the blogging world. And I'm the first to admit I don't like complaining. I love to look at the positive. But I also believe in being real. And I'm real tired :)

The combination of a newborn and toddler is seriously kicking my tail. I am feeling so overwhelmed by it all that I just want to sit on the couch and eat cookies. Pepperidge Farm to be exact. Sadly that does nothing positive for my saggy stomach--wouldn't it be amazing if the more cookies you ate the skinnier you became??

Right now I am in constant toddler proofing mode. Since baby Reed arrived Stafford seems to think he has the go ahead to push all boundaries. We are climbing out of the crib and into the bathroom sink. We have emptied too many spice jars to count. All of the sudden we can reach things that we couldn't reach before. We unroll toilet paper. We scream "mine" and we tell the baby "move" whenever Mama holds him.

Who took my angelic firstborn and gave me this one?

Sometimes when we go places I get nervous. What if he does this in front of my friends? Or church people? Or at swimming lessons? Will people think I'm an awful parent?

And ultimately I have to remind myself that I'm not perfect. And I'm definitely not the perfect parent. And no one else is either! And clearly I don't have a perfect kid!

Children bring out the best and worst in us. I am so patient with my little guys and so impatient in the next moment. I selfishly want them to do things my way one day and then rearrange my whole day to help them the next. They remind me each day that I am sinful and I need the forgiveness of my Father in heaven. But they also remind me of how great his love is for me.

There is a lot of pressure to be supermom. Lots of mommy bloggers who only write about the good and who apparently make crafts with their kids all day long and prepare gourmet dinners 7 nights a week. But I'm not one of them. And Im learning to be ok with that.

I want to show my boys and our future babies the love of Christ. They don't have to grow up to be superheroes either. But I want them to be champions of what is true. I want them to be godly men.

Deuteronomy 6:4-9 ESV “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. (5) You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. (6) And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. (7) You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. (8) You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. (9) You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

Comments

  1. good perspective, laura! hang onto it on those hard days! and please, please, please know that you are not the only one that wants to sit on the couch and eat cookies sometimes! :) being a mommy is hard work! and God gives amazing strength/wisdom/patience in those hard moments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there! It's always hard in the beginning!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts