Shrimp & Okra Gumbo

I moved to Charleston, South Carolina back in 2004.  I never knew that I would fall in love with the city, it's culture and especially it's food!!  I also never dreamed I would fall in love there....but that is for another post.

I was fortunate to live right in the center of the historic downtown.  Each Saturday I would walk to the Farmer's Market in Marion Square and marvel at the fresh produce and beautiful crafts.  I would sip on a lavender lemonade and eat a crepe.  You see you haven't really lived until you've done that.  Although I attribute my "foodiness" to this recipe I might say my love for food started when I moved to Charleston.  It was the first time I had my own kitchen (I lived in a college dorm for 6 years during school and grad-school!!).  And I was excited to start using it.

Two of my favorite foods are southern specialties.  Shrimp and okra.  There were fresh shrimp at the market and more okra than you'd know what to do with!  I found a recipe back then (man I can't believe that was almost 8 years ago!!) that combined these two awesome flavors.  It's gumbo-ish and since it's Fat Tuesday (although let's face it...everyday is a fat day for me right now) I thought it was the perfect recipe to post!

(for all you non-southerners....here's a picture of the yummy green stuff!)


Shrimp & Okra Gumbo
makes 6 servings

1 and1/2 Vegetable Bouillon Cube
3 tsp olive oil
3/4 tsp black pepper
3 tsp garlic, chopped
6 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 and 1/2 cup onion, chopped
3 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
3 cup okra, sliced
3/4 tsp salt
6 cups white rice, cooked
30 medium shrimp


Saute the garlic, onions and tomato in the oil for about 5 minutes.  Add the okra, salt, pepper and bouillon cube.  Let simmer for 15-20 minutes.  Add the shrimp when you have about 5 minutes of cooking left.  Saute.  Serve over cooked white rice.

This is SO super yummy and at risk of sounding like a broken record...super easy!  You can certainly make it without the shrimp and if you want you can add different vegetables.  It is relatively healthy and you can serve it over brown rice to make it even healthier!

My two favorite guys enjoying the market last May

** If you are a faithful follower or a new reader there is something you need to know!  Google is discontinuing it's "Google Friend Connect" program for any blogs that aren't hosted in Google.  That doesn't change my blog now but would you go ahead and follow us either on facebook or via email?  It will make sure you keep updated on our little version of reality no matter what!

Comments

  1. Yumm! I love, love fried okra (I make a point to order it when I am visiting the south!) and I recently found a recipe on Pintrest - except it was baked in the oven.
    I can't wait to try that one, I will try yours as well. You are right - the farmers market in Marion Square is great, like what you envision for a southern farmers market! It was a favorite Sat when I was 1. Awake 2. Had the money. In fact, I credit the blackberries I purchased there my sophomore year for keeping a nasty cold at bay :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,
    Looking at all that great Okra. We grow Okra every year and can't wait for it to be ready. I will sure have to give this recipe a try, it looks delicious!
    Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts