Lessons From Goats



God really is teaching me a lot lately.  I SO hoped I could find one thing he was teaching me that had to do with goats.  Well, not with goats per say but with this picture of goats.  It's my favorite from this week.  I love the Little Guy's fearlessness and watching him do new things.  I think it's hilarious that he is surrounded by goats--not really an everyday occurrence.

The biggest thing God is teaching me right now though is that the Little Guy doesn't belong to me.  It's scary.  Way scarier than letter him run into a pack of goats.  Goats are probably not called a pack but I didn't know what a group of goats were called.  Plus pack sounds way more ominous and dangerous--clearly an apt description of these animals.

I've been following stories of a few babies lately.  One is a friend of a friend who was born with CDH.  Another is a dear friend who just had a baby born with Down Syndrome and is still in the hospital even after a week.

Sometimes when I was pregnant with the Little Guy I would think of milestones I wished to reach.  13 weeks--chance of miscarriage goes down.  24 weeks--baby can technically survive with lots of help.  37 weeks--full term.  But then he was born and there were things to worry about like SIDS, car accidents, unidentified illness.  And I realized that I couldn't live life from milestone to milestone.  When he's 16 I'm going to worry about him learning to drive.  When he's 8 I'm going to worry when people are mean to him.  When he's 18 I'm going to worry about him kissing his first date.  Ha ha just kidding, surely he'll be 28!

I am really having to consciously hand him over to the Hands that made him.  Psalm 139 is one of those "everyone loves it" kind of chapters.  It's for good reason.  The words are beautiful, true and comforting.  Especially to a Mama who just wants to protect her sweet boy from this world.

13 For you created my inmost being;

you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

I read them over and over.  I have to hide this on my heart.  That before the Little Guy and the Littler Guy were even thought about God had all of their days ordained.  I'm sure glad he ordained us a day with the goats.
 
 
 
Linking up with Amber, Rachel, Courtney, Fabulous Friday and Becky

Comments

  1. Your photo put a smile on my face and your words warmed my heart. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. And so true! Love that verse too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post. I love the way he just stands in the middle of the goats. Thanks for sharing. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so hard not to worry about everything that "could" happen. Thank you for this new point of view...love you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your photo and your post. It is truly comforting to know that God has a plan for our little ones and that we need to trust Him with their lives. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your beautiful photograph reminded me of when my oldest daughter joined our family at 11 months old (adopted from China). She was out with me taking care of the sheep and chickens...and loving it. Thanks for bringing that memory to the forefront today. May you and your son have many wonderful memories together...and with the goats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the photo and your heartfelt words. My daughter is soon to be 18 and on her way to a college over 6hrs away from home. I have to leave her in God's hands, otherwise, I'd worry myself to death.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A really amazing and genuine post. The photo is great, the verse is poignant, and I love your words. Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Rub Some Dirt On It. I hope you come back this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute shot of the boy. comforting words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Any mom would love this post.

    As I did.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post made me cry and touched my heart. You are so right that our children belong to God and not to us. He is in control of everything. And those bad things will happen, recently my 18 year old daughter was in a car accident that could have easily taken her life, but instead she basically walked away with only a few staples in her head and a totaled car. Even though I was only a car ahead of her, there was nothing I could do to save her, it was totally God's hand of protection that saved her. Treasure every day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing like a mom's heart and love for her children. Your post was very touching and your photo is precious!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts