Christmas Baked Eggs

I don't believe in love at first sight.  Love at first bite?  Maybe.  But I do know that all it took for me was one wonderful day with my sweet husband and I knew we were meant to be.  There might have been a certain amount of girlie screaming that went on after I went into my apartment that I was really afraid he heard after he dropped me off.  Regardless he totally sealed the deal when he told me that his family eats an egg casserole as their traditional Christmas fare.  I was hooked!

We don't do a typical Christmas meal at our house.  There is no turkey or ham.  There is no pie.  We have a scrumptious brunch that consists of Baked Eggs, Cheese Grits, Country Ham, Biscuits and Fruit Salad.  It is divine and is by far my favorite me of the year.

Sweet husband didn't realize that his family ate a sausage version of the casserole but my equally sweet mother-in-law has added our version to the menu ever since I came along because she knows I love it so much.  How sweet it that?

Here is our version of Baked Eggs

Baked Eggs

8 slices of GOOD white bread (you know what I mean...not just store bought flimsy stuff)
12 slices of American cheese
7 eggs
14 oz. milk
1/8 tsp dry mustard
6 tbsp melted butter
3/4 tsp salt
6 slices bacon, crumbled

Grease 9x13 pan.  Cube your bread and put 4 slices on the bottom of the pan.  Cover with 6 slices of cheese.  Repeat bread and cheese. 

Beat eggs, milk and seasoning and pour over all.  Pour melted butter over top.  Cover pan with foil and refrigerate overnight. 

Bake uncovered at 300 for 45 minutes.  Take it out of the over and sprinkle cooked, crumbled, bacon over top and bake for another 15 minutes.


Linking with Reasons to Skip the Housework, Sugar Bee Crafts, Blessed with Grace, Chef In Training, Celebrating Family & Ladybug Blessings

Comments

  1. What a lovely Christmas Table and a great recipe for Baked Eggs. I will sure have to try that sometime. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a wonderful week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts