Old vs New

We've been here in our "new" house for a little over 2 months now.  It is hard to believe that we've been gone from our "home" since the middle of July.  In some ways time has flown and in other ways it seems to crawl.

One of the most fun things about moving is getting to start over in a new house.  It's clean, new  to you and fun to personalize and make our own.  Unfortunately for my poor husband that meant lots of "can you move this there" and "I think we need another baby gate" for weeks on end.  Things still aren't perfect here at the new house but it is certainly getting there.

I've noticed some major differences living in a house that is over 100 years old.  So here are some of the positives and negatives about our new place.

1. I can't lock the front door from the inside.  I HATE having to put the key in once I'm outside, usually trying to balance Stafford, a diaper bag and who knows what else.
2. Outlets are few and far between and even when the are there they either don't work or only have 2 prongs. (not something to worry about in a new house)
3. You can wave to someone if you are standing above/below the vents.  Know what this means?  Noise travels!!
4. The wooden stairs are super squeaky!!
5. I can't use the microwave and the nearby outlet at the same time or it blows the circuit.
6. Wood floors are easy to clean but dust shows up FAST!!
7. Buying carpets for an entire house is expensive!!
8.Old house equals no overhead lights or ceiling fans.

Things I LOVE
1. Built-in bookshelf.  If you really know me, enough said!
2. Every room is unique.
3. Gorgeous ceilings.
4. A huge laundry room with a utility sink and a built-in china cabinet.
5. The sun-porch on the second floor.
6. The sun-room off the dining room.  It's hidden by the massive front porch and rhododendron but still lets in lots of sunny warmth when it's available!
7. The gorgeous views of the South and Mt. Rainier IF you know where to look for it.
8. Window everywhere!
9. The heat lamp in the upstairs bathroom!  Why don't ALL bathrooms have these?
10. Fun hidden closets with Stafford-sized windows.
11. Way less bathrooms to clean!
12. Easy wood floors to clean.
13. Backyard with a fence so Bear can play.
14. The hot tub
15. Huge front porch....can't wait to sit out here with a huge glass of iced tea next summer.
16. Working fireplace with huge gorgeous mantel.
17. A refrigerator with a freezer drawer (on the bottom if that makes sense) Love it!
18. Beautiful garden window in kitchen.

I could seriously go on and on about how much I love our new house!  It certainly has it's quirks....but it is starting to feel more and more like home.  In the next few days I swear I'm going to take some pictures so I can show you some of the fun built-ins and other stuff.  It is so unique!

What are some of your favorite or least favorite things about your house?

Comments

  1. Yay for fun and cute houses! Something about the front door thing: I've discovered (as I have to herd 2 and carry 1 out the door) that even if you have to run back up steps, it's just way easier to get stuff put in your car, kid strapped in, etc, and then go back and lock the door. Just some free advice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts