Taste Changes

I've never been a picky eater.  I think my Mom did a pretty good job of introducing us to all types of foods growing up.  We learned to say "I don't care for that" instead of "Yuck" or "That's gross" when an item didn't appeal to us.  Slowly over the last few years many of the foods that evoked the "yuck" in my head have become staples in our house.  Over time I've started to enjoy onions, tomatoes and eggplant.  I love all kinds of fish and have even been known to eat a japaleno or two!

One of things I thought I would never like was sausage.  Links, patties, brats....the packaging didn't matter.  I just didn't like sausage.  Peter's family eats sausage occasionally and so I began to try it at family dinners.  I certainly didn't love it right away but it began to grow on me.  I knew that I officially liked sausage when I picked out a recipe that features it!   We had this for lunch today and it was fabulous! 

Surprise, surprise...it's another Giada!

Pasta with Sausage

1 pound small pasta (I used shells)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 pound turkey sausage (casings removed)
1 small onion, chopped
15 oz can cannellini beans (Great Northern Beans) drained & rinsed
2 T chopped oregano
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Cook your pasta and reserve 1 cup of the cooking water when you drain it.  I would suggest only making 1/2 or 3/4 of the 1 lb. box.  I have found Giada's recipes to be pasta heavy and I want to be able to really taste the ingredients.  It's up to you thought!

In a large skillet warm the olive oil and saute your chopped onion and sausage.  The recipe calls for 1/2 a pound of sausage but I used a whole pound.  I used the hot variety of turkey sausage and it was great!  When you take the sausage out of the casing you'll need to break it up with your spatula or wooden spoon into more bite sized pieces.  Cook under the onion is tender.  Add the beans and oregano.  Remember, if you don't have fresh on hand you can use dried.  Just use your 1 T fresh = 1 t dried formula.  Cook for two minutes.  Add the reserved pasta water and stir.  Add the mascarpone and stir.  Add the salt, pepper and pasta.  Stir and serve!

I hope you enjoy this as much as we did!  I'm on the hunt now for the perfect "Linguine with Chilies" recipe.  When I find it I'll be sure to share!!

Comments

Popular Posts