2011: What's your word?

Resolutions. Goals. Pursuits. Decisions. Declarations. Intent. Purpose.....no matter what you call it most of us are thinking about changes we want to make in our lives in the upcoming year.  I for one usually have a hard time coming up with new and exciting resolutions.  Some of that probably stems from the fact that I never keep the ones from the year before and so I just make the same ones over and over again.

Some of the other words in the thesaurus for "resolution" were steadfastness, stubbornness, willpower, firmness, fixed purpose.  Sadly I feel like none of those words describe me naturally.  I know people who have willpower.  My sister has a LOT of willpower.  This chocolate lover has given up chocolate for who knows how many years.  She only eats it on December 31st of each year.  Chocolate?  Are you kidding me?  She loves it but she does it because she knows she can.

I don't know that I want to make resolutions that I have to be "steadfast" in keeping because then there is a lot of pressure to keep them!  But at the same time I want to pursue things that are worthwhile and sometimes you need to be firm in pursuing good goals.  Psalm 119 calls us to be steadfast to obey God's statutes.  And Colossians 3 says that no matter what we do we should work at it with all of our heart.  I guess this doesn't leave me a lot of room to make wishy-washy resolutions.  Especially in areas that I really need some work!

So...here are some of my goals...resolutions....pursuits of 2011....I divided them up into areas of focus....

1. Focus on Spiritual Discipline
       -Be in the Word Daily
       -Pray often
       -find ways to serve in our church
2. Focus on Developing Myself
      -start playing piano again
      -take cake decorating class
      -try MaryKay business for at least 6 months
3. Focus on Making Memories
     -use my time more wisely (aka not so much time online and more time doing important things!)
     -learn how to take pictures on Manual on my camera
     -call and send pictures to the grandparents and great-grandparents often!
     -keep updating the blog so out of towners can keep up with Stafford
     -plan fun things to do and make time for them
4. Focus on Healthy Living
     -find some type of exercise that works for me and stick with it
     -cook new and healthy meals
     -take my vitamins! (sounds silly but I always forget)
5. Focus on Relationships
     -make sure I am spending quality time with Peter and Stafford
     -Love people
     -Encourage others
     -Keep in touch with friends
     -Celebrate the success of others
     -date nights!!

The thesaurus also lists antonyms for resolutions.  These are compliance, indecision and weakness.  Ugg!  Those are horrible words.  I don't want to look back on this year and use those words to describe it.  It's ok if I don't reach all of my "goals".  I just want to be steadfast in my pursuit of them.  I encourage you to make goals and whether big or small pursue them! If you'd like ask me how my goals and pursuits are going from time to time.  It's always good to get a reminder and encouragement.  If I can encourage you to reach your goals this year just let me know!  Maybe we can work on some of these together!

Make 2011 your year of purpose!!  Pursue your goals with resolution!!

Comments

  1. Those are some great goals!! I saw your email that your link wasn't working. I can't find that email (I think it disappeared :O) Let me know if you have any other problems linking up. One other girl said someone had issues with her link too. Stupid computer issues he he :O)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting our little corner of the world! If you are new I'd love to have you follow along here! Have a wonderful day!

Popular Posts